Check out my articles in the Arts & Entertainment section under TV on Examiner.com/Atlanta

Stephen Anthony Campbell on Examiner.com

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

90210 Again!!!!

90210 is the world's most recognized zip code, but it’s not the show I watched as a kid. Its sexier and has more of a modern edge and makes the original look a little Sesame Street. This new version of the show is a more modern look at the lifestyles of the rich and bratty. Its off to a good start for a teen drama. It starts off with a familiar brother and sister from Kansas storyline with an interestingly fresh twist. The return of the characters Brenda Walsh and Kelly Taylor all grown up and with kids seemed a little odd at first but it works for the show. But this is Beverly Hills were the plastic surgeons have plastic surgeons… and there are plenty of young beautiful people running around the halls of WBHH. The pilot episode didn’t waste any time showing off the mansions, private jets, sex, drugs, alcohol and cyber bullying. I’m sure with this being the wonderful world of TV and all the students at WBHH will be taught a lesson or two about the dangers of those naughty behaviors.



The show is provocative and edgy enough to attract a new following of fans. With the return of old characters it may lure fans of the original as well. But let’s not forget it’s a teen drama, Gossip Girl meets The O.C. and One Tree Hill. I remember the hoopla there was for Luke Perry back in the day… so I can see teeny boppers all over the country going Ga-Ga over the new show. I have a friend who just drools over Chad Michael Murray from One Tree Hill. She is totally into the guy and watches every episode and anything with him in it. I’m betting the guys on this new show will be thrown into pop history as well.

I’ve seen some nice and lukewarm reviews of the show so far… but I like what I’ve seen so far. Its not the same show that launched Tori Spelling’s career. I’m sure the show is going to make new stars and a whole new TV phenomenon… we just have to wait and watch and see where it takes us. One things for sure, there is a no shortage of teenage drama to be seen on screen. I look forward to the next episode

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a die hard fan of the original 90210 and was a little hesitant about this at first too, but then when I heard some of the original cast was coming back, I decided to give it a chance, and I watched the premiere with an open mind. And I was pleasantly surprised, it more than surpassed my expectations. I fell in love with this new spin off within the first few minutes, I have fallen in love with this show all over again! I am really glad this show is back, as they said "it's really great to be back in Beverly Hills."

As for the mixed critics reviews, I take those with the smallest grain of salt, it's just one person's opinion, the ratings speak for themselves ;) Some of the critics are just bitter that they didn't get to have an advanced screening of it, that they had to contain their suspense and wait to see it when everyone else does without any special treatment.

I don't really agree with the Sesame Street comment, but it's great to see more reviewers with an open mind.

It's great to actually LOVE something about TV again for the first time in a long time. The best TV show in history is back!!!!

 
Copyright © 2008 Free Blogger Template By Cool Stuff Blog